Different, but similar languages

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:36:08 -0800

Joerg Baumgartner wrote:
> Antonio
>> In my serie, the heortling PC's are going to interact with
>> Tarshites and Exiles. I would like to emphasize with the
>> different languages that they are a different, but related
>> people, and I don't want an absolute lack of communication.
>> How do you deal with these problems?
>
> Mostly from my experience learning Norwegian with only Swedish as
> learned language: You get a lot of funny looks, stumble over
> misapplied or uncomprehensible formulations, but you get your point
> across. (More so if you are using a native language.)

Just for MGF, have NPCs occasionally laugh or respond bizarrely to them. If they ask around, some other NPC can explain what happened.

Example:

Player: I order a beer.
GM: The barmaid slaps your face. The bar is silent for a couple of seconds, then the bartender bursts out laughing.
Player: I ask the bartender what just happened. GM: The bartender says, "In these parts, don't ask for 'service' unless you mean..."

--AMS