Re: How to stage this scene?

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:29:51 +1100

This reminds me of a scene we played in Russ Hoyle's campaign, where we were in the Rubble, ahem Real City, tracking a vampire to its tower, and Russ made the tower itself - its strangeness, its darkness, its power to generate fear, the way its shadows mislead and deceived - the main focus of our attack.

So our scouring of the tower was a single EC against the Tower itself (I'm not sure if Russ ever named its ability - probably something like 'Sinister 18w') with the vampire a mere part of the tower's weapons. Sounds like you could run the krashkid cavern the same way.

The episode worked for me, and it impressed me just how flexible HW really was, and how intangible 'atmospherics' could generate real contests. A humakti who will face three or four lunars without batting an eyelid takes serious pause when he knows he might show fear and run in front of his mates.

So perhaps give your cavern temple a Scary 10w2, use this as your main EC, and use cave ins, rumblings and kid attacks as part of its devices. A crit fear attack might be a cave in, a major victory a kid kiss etc. And of course serious defeats for the players mean outbreaks of gibbering under boulders, running away for a round or two, clenching legs together or having to change into a corduroy kilt. Watch 'em start spending heaps of EPs on their 'Brave'. :)

Two clacks and a greasy bolg...

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/