Re: Re: Improvise or Die

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:06:26 +0000

>Glorantha IS complex to start with though, even to create a character
>you have to wade through a selection of cults, and understand their
>function and relationship to one another, learn what sort of culture
>you are in (definitely different to most 'fantasy' games), and get
>usd to the magic 'how' and 'why'. Then there's the political
>situation with the Lunars and neighbouring clans.

I don't see this. I've helped beginning players (i.e. those who had never heard of Glorantha before) make up characters, and have never had these problems. Culture should be picked for the players ("you're all Orlanthi - sort of vikingy saxon hill barbarians") just to make it easier and more consistent, and then you ask them about the sort of character they want. ("You want a warrior? Do you want a doom obsessed death fanatic? A normal bloke who happens to fight? A woman dedicated to protecting the innocent? An unthinking berserk killing anything that smells of evil?") Usually you can get it down to describing one or two cults that are likely to appeal.

Of course, it helps if the GM knows the background, but anyone who thinks I've memorised the list of cults in thunder rebels/storm tribe is seriously over-estimating my memory.

As for political situations, that is best shown in game.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson