Re: [HeroWars] Re: Playing Powerful Characters

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 14:55:56 -0500

I switched groups on this one because my reply is more rules-y.

I use the following house rules for raising abilities:

The cost to raise a "mundane" ability one level = number of masteries (minimum of 1).
The cost to raise a "three-point" ability (such as an affinity) = "mundane" ability cost +1 (which leads to a minimum of 2). The cost to raise an entire keyword = 5 x number of masteries (minimum of 5). If the keyword contains fewer than 5 abilities, change the "5" to the number of abilities.

I retroactively applied these costs to my HW home game. The lower initial cost to raise affinities results in players raising them more often. I now consider Close Combat and Ranged Combat to be keywords. If I was starting a new game--besides probably trying to use a system more compatible with HQ--I'd probably put the weapon skills back into the appropriate keywords.

I give out 1 HP at the beginning of each session and 5 HP at the end of each session, we only play 1/month, we've played a little fewer than 30 sessions, and some characters have an ability in the low w2 range, with a couple of abilities approaching w2.

Aside: I've considered changing abilities to 10 levels per mastery instead of 20, but have decided to wait for HQ. If I used 10 levels per mastery, I'd halve HP awards and still use a d20 (as a 2 x d10 with only 1 and 20 being criticals). This would solve the problem I have in my infrequently meeting game where characters don't increase in ability fast enough over years of play (from a player perspective). I know that there are other ways to address this (such as arbitrary fast forwarding), but I'd like a way that preserves my season-by-season or week-by-week pace of adventures.

Thanks,
Andy