Re: Re: AP knowledge?

From: Graham Spearing <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 23:57:34 +0000

Just finished running my first HeroWars campaign, it was a blast, with more of the saga to come later in the year.

I started with players knowing their own APs and me letting on that enemies were close to going out. By the end of the series we found that players fiddling even with their own APs was slowing things down. We agreed that as Narrator I would keep track of all the APs (not at all hard) and that the players had to concentrate on describing their actions. We would agree how risky the description sounded and dealt in fractions of total AP.

"Wow that's risky, your bidding half your AP on that manoeuver! Make
that roll!"

The players would know how well they were doing by the descriptions of their foes. They'd also have some idea of the potency of their opponent by cancelled masteries.

"Ogrin reels backwards from your blow a look of astonishment on his face
- he starts to look around for a way to escape but knows he must fight you some more. Wildly he lunges towards you..." Ogrin is on low AP and is making a wild and risky AP bid to try and punch a way to escape.

Or

"The blood spattered warrior staggers towards you, raising his sword arm
feebly, a look of resignation in his eyes.." 2 AP left and ready to fall.

The players were never 100% sure how well they were doing until their opponents fell out of the contest.But they seemed to like that too.

I was suprised they went with this, but without lots of other things such as fatigue and hit points to worry about they wanted to concentrate on the descriptions and the dice rolling :-)

I tell you something - extended contests (often combats) flew by!

I love HeroWars.

--
Graham

"Live free, die well"