Re: AP numbers

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:18:56 +0100

Keith & Nick :

> > *We are using base 10 in our games, with D10 rather than D20 and no
> > W notation to contend with, which means lower numbers of beans
> > anyway.
>
> Ever since you first mentioned it, I've been greatly impressed by this
> *inspired* notion. Can you let me (us) know if you have hit any
> hitches along the way in using it?

I'll heartily third this, as I've long been believing the same thing myself.

IMO _all_ of the problems people have had with the HW/HQ paradigm, geek-wise, transparency-wise, rules-wise, log-wise, and otherwise stem from the fact that the game uses base 20 instead of base 10, unlike virtually ALL other systems of numeracy used by mankind, including the D&D3 D20 system.

OK, so I'm a geek.

Sue me ...

> (FWIW, I see getting rid of HW's geek notation and reverting to 2D10
> aka "percentile dice" for all resolution rolls as *major* leaps
> forward in playability and charm).

I'd personally prefer to see a straight 1D10 system, and am also intrigued to hear about Keith's experiences.

Julian Lord