Re: Digest Number 1080

From: simonbrayuk_at_...
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 08:45:48 EST

In a message dated 09/01/03 11:35:48 GMT Standard Time, hw-rules_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

> (b) It's not about raw power. At present I'm playing in a game as an
> Esvulari squire, and the sum total of my magic is a handful of petty
> knacks such as Tidy Up! Sure, at first it was a wrench compared with
> theist devotees able to do massive magics, but the game works just
> as well at this power level, and we can still have a blast.

 The great thing about this game is that the Liturgist in the party gets to cast his community magics every Windsday which give everybody a magical benefit, so he invariably knows what magic is required for that period of time, so before fights he blesses the soldiers, before harvest he blesses the crops and so on. The backing of the community and the augments he receives as a consequence mean these magics can be cast a some quite meaty ability levels, with a good chance of suceeding.

 I also find that the low magic level of the Sorcerors and Animists means that they quickly begin to think more about the development of the character rather than the magic ability. They know that magically they are a little worse off, so instead they concentrate on enhance none magical skills, tricks and so on. After two years of Sunset Leaping, Mile-Long Javelin Throwing, Run Over Mudding PC's who solve everything with magic, it is nice to see the brains working again. Anyhow who needs Orlanthi magic when you are sat astride a War Rhino/Deamon Horse/Iron Barded Destrier, weilding a Rhino Driven Lance/Hell Metal Sword/Iron Horseman's Flail and dressed in Rhino Fat and Tattoos/Hell Metal Chain/Full Iron Chain!

Cheers Simon Bray

The Unspoken Word - The Magazine for Gloranthans and Heroes http://www.celtic-webs.com/theunspokenword/