Re: latest Q&A on Glorantha.com site

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:46:35 +0000 (GMT)

Alain:
> In the exemple, four heroes help the fifth one to reach +10 bonus,
> giving him a 7W (the hero was 17 att the begining). OK so far.
> But the next round, the same guys add again +8 to that fifth Hero,
> giving him 15W !!!
> Can they use this increase mechanism each round without limit (i.e.,
> next round, provided they are all uninjured, give +8 more, with the
> hero reaching 3W2 !?) ?

Yes, "by the rules", though personally I'd suggest the application of large doses of common sense, if this starts to a) be tedious, or b) give narratively uninteresting or ridiculous results. For example, if a starting character (mutatis mutandis, a Heroquester) is repeatedly augmented to be at ability levels typical of a tribal champion (m.m., major god), then are the magical effects that achieve this being described appropriately for this game world effect? (And indeed, in a given situation, are they even "describable" as such?)

> Can they use the same skill multiple tume for multiple increases ?

No, and note the Q&A is explicit on that point:

	"If the four augment him again on the next turn (using _different
	 abilities_) [...]".

My emphasis.

And at least in HW:RiG, multiple augments can _only_ be done with magical abilities. (i.e., you can be augmented by any number of different magical augmentation, once each; and one non-magical, once total.)

So it's strictly bounded by the number of different appropriate abilities, in the "worst case". (Though that could still be a lot, given that feats in theistic affinities are somewhat inexpensively open-ended.)

Cheers,
Alex.