Re: latest Q&A on Glorantha.com site

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:36:36 -0800

> > In the exemple, four heroes help the fifth one to reach +10 bonus,
> > giving him a 7W (the hero was 17 att the begining). OK so far.
> > But the next round, the same guys add again +8 to that fifth Hero,
> > giving him 15W !!!

That should be another +10 (the hero gets to augment himself, after all. I missed that on the pre-posting check). This is based on 5 people of rating of 17 in all abilities - more people, or better abilities, can change the rate of bonus.

> > Can they use this increase mechanism each round without limit (i.e.,
> > next round, provided they are all uninjured, give +8 more, with the
> > hero reaching 3W2 !?) ?
>
> Yes, "by the rules", though personally I'd suggest the application of
> large doses of common sense, if this starts to a) be tedious, or b) give
> narratively uninteresting or ridiculous results. For example, if a
starting
> character (mutatis mutandis, a Heroquester) is repeatedly augmented to be
at
> ability levels typical of a tribal champion (m.m., major god), then are
the
> magical effects that achieve this being described appropriately for this
> game world effect? (And indeed, in a given situation, are they even
> "describable" as such?)

Alex is absolutely correct - common sense is a *major* limiter to any game. While some long-time readers may scoff, I do think that common sense should be used in preference to rules in the case of "stupid" or "over-the-top" results.

> > Can they use the same skill multiple tume for multiple increases ?
>
> No, and note the Q&A is explicit on that point:
>
> "If the four augment him again on the next turn (using _different
> abilities_) [...]".
>
> My emphasis.

Yep. Only one augment per ability per person allowed.

Most people may have one or two abilities they can use to augment with (one mundane, and one magical), but it depends on the situation - a beginning Initiate of Hu the Sword augmenting someone for a fight can give him a pep talk (Brave...), plus augments from Death, Honor and Sword Combat for +8 bonus over 4 rounds.

Use your imagination!

> And at least in HW:RiG, multiple augments can _only_ be done with magical
> abilities. (i.e., you can be augmented by any number of different magical
> augmentation, once each; and one non-magical, once total.)
>
> So it's strictly bounded by the number of different appropriate abilities,
> in the "worst case". (Though that could still be a lot, given that feats
> in theistic affinities are somewhat inexpensively open-ended.)

In the current HQ version, the rule against multiple mundane augments is out, but also you can only augment once per affinity (equating an "Affinity" with "Ability") , so it (kind of) evens out. Devotees become a bit less powerful, but how many rounds were you going to have for augments anyway?

And remember that while you're augmenting your champion, the villain(s) can be chopping down members of your band. In the example, the villain has a full mastery advantage, which means that he can attack with bid AP bids and expect a 1x Transer most of the time (17/20 of getting a Critical every turn).

Roderick