Re: Re: latest Q&A on Glorantha.com site

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 17:38:08 -0800

Bother, let's try that again with text added...

> They are using different feats. In the first round the heroes may
> use "feat1" to give the first group of augments. In the second round
> they might use "feat2".

Actually, they are using different *abilities* - which may be mundane, feats, affinities, spells, spirits, etc. A minor point, but important.

> Which then begs the question... Can three Orlanthi's use the same
> feat to augment another, in effect layering the same effect on top
> of him. Personally I would say no...

Depends on the feats in question. Use common sense. If *I* boost him with Sword Help saying "I make his sword float through the air so he can swing it better" and you boost him with Sword Help saying "I make the edge sharper" and Alex boosts him with Sword Help saying "I make the entire sword harder so it can cut through metal" etc., are these stackable or not? It will depend on the narrator to say "okay, you get +2" or "no, sorry, come up with something else"

> And what happens to an augment when the hero is knocked out of the
> combat? Does the magic continue after he has gone, or does it
> vanish? I can see a tactic forming here where the players would
> (given time) augment one character up to try to create a melee
> monster, seeing as masteries are so powerful, and acting simply as
> an AP battery... doesnt always work I know but...

Usually it sticks around (it doesn't need to be concentrated on) even after the caster is out of the fight. But if you want it to go away, make it go away. It's more work, though, to remember how many pluses Geo gave you and to subtract them when Geo goes down.

And yes, making a "Combat Monster" is exactly what this multple augments tactic are *intended* to do - except you don't get the AP boost at the same time as your augment. The hero may be augmented up to 17w, but he's still only got 17 AP, not 37. (AP are basd on your ability+augments+followers+... at the start of the contest, not your current ability)

> Also, going back to my previous question about augments requiring an
> unrelated action, form the Q&A it would seem not. Because augmenting
> is related to an attack action it can be done as part of an attack.
> In the example the 4 supporting heroes augmented a fellow AND made
> weak AP bid attacks on their actions...

No, they do their weak attacks only *after* augmenting their buddy up - they are not attacking every round. Any Enhancement takes an unrelated action (page 133, bottom of the page). Some house rules allow "always on" enhancements like Strength and Size to be "on" without an action, but magic certainly needs one.

> And while I am here, the touch range modifier (-5). I know this was
> spoken about in the past, but would like a refresh. Does this
> automtaically apply to yourself in an augment roll? So +1=0, +2=5,
> +3=10 etc. Personally I think the resistance should imply touch to
> start with, and casting without touch makes it harder.

I actually agree, and I wrote the rule in the first place.

Roderick