Re: Masteries, augments and victory levels

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:20:05 +0000 (GMT)

Ash:
> Dunno about you lot, but it seems a bit weird that if I aim for +4
> I'm likely to get it while if I go for +5 I'm more likely to get
> +10...

There's some "lumpiness" (and as you say, in some cases non-monotonicity) in the progression, yes... (After a certain point, the best tactic is always to try for the largest multiple of 4 plus 1, as an augment, that you have a better than even chance of getting a "double" result for, which seems a bit of an "undramatic" trope to be encouraging...)

> Another manifestation of this problem is transferring to the other
> side during a HQ. The rules say (and I couldn't see an errata for
> this, but I may be blind) that you need a major victory to succeed.
> This means that however high your skill, however carefully you
> prepare with feats, rituals and whatever else you have it all comes
> down to a toss up - does the barrier between the world make it's
> target number or not?

I had gotten the impression there was a potential "fix" for this in HQ (3rd hand rumour only, perhaps). IIRC, the gist of it was that "excess" bump-ups would get converted into bump-downs for the opponent, so would in effect be counted, as opposed to in HW, where they're simply lost. So this would be get around the above, if one were sufficiently better than the barrier (or rolled sufficiently well).

It still seems a somewhat odd mechanic, though. If something is supposed to be hard, change the resistance, not the interpretation of the outcome, IMO. Cheers,
Alex.