Re: Spell Matrixes - sorcerous?

From: aescleal_at_...
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:21:04 +0000 (GMT)

Dunno how the rest of the world is doing this but it's a personal interpretation which is a bit different...

For theists and sorcerers embedding objects or spells:

First off they have to overcome the resistance of the object being enchanted in an extended contest using an appropriate feat, with improvisation penalties (e.g. a humakti using enchant sword trying to enchant a bladed slashing weapon is at -5, -20 for anything else). The resistance is determined by what the material is, how appropriate the item is for the character doing the enchantment and (probably most important being a control freak GM) do I want 'em to have it.

Second, they have to embed the feat they want the item to use. This is an extended contest between the ability score they want the magic item to have and the feat they're trying to embed. Once enchanted, they can use HP to increase the level of the feat as if it were an ordinary ability.

To save arithmetic the item gives 1 or ^2 in relevant contests per 10 points of the item.

Another speed up rule - if they burn 2 hero points they can create an item with a score of half their score without a contest.

If they fail either contest they loose points in the feat they used according to the ordinary contest table.

Anyone can then use the object at it's ability rating (unless the enchanter puts some sort of condition on it's use) as if they had the feat or spell. Having said that, I like the idea of applying alien world modifiers to it's usage...

Shamans don't need this sort of malarkey as they can just whip up a fetish (and then appear in a Nick Broomfield documentary).

Cheers,

Ash - who doesn't know why he's sticking his oar in, he's only been playing the game for 6 weeks...