Re: Re: Dodge skill

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:35:07 +0000

flynnkd2 wrote:

> Dodge sounds a bit generic and all-encompassing.
>
> Should the use of Dodge vs missiles be treated as an improvised
> version of Dodge, or should the player be made to take "Dodge vs
> Missile" specifically.

Both. Abilities in HW do what they say they do. So 'Dodge Missiles', 'Dodge Strike' and 'Dodge' are different abilities. The Narrator decides on the improvisational penalty to apply when an ability is used outside its precise area of application (e.g. using 'Dodge Strike' to dodge missiles) or if the ability is generic (e.g. 'Dodge'). The Narrator also has the option of disallowing too abilities that are too generic.

Personally, I'd allow 'Dodge', but always impose a penalty.