Broad abilities with sub-categories (Was Re:Dodging)

From: Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 08:08:25 -0000

>Surely a game mechanic in which a target number is given, but which
>is always modified and never rollead against streight, is flawed?

Why? The target number is an abstract value that is a reference for calculating things in each context. I have not perceived real problems in the game.

I'm not sure than Broad abilities are ALWAYS modified. I'm not sure what are broad abilities if the system allows you to improvise with any ability (there are abilities broader than others, but it's very difficult to measure)

So, in my game, using Strength as a 'Close Combat' ability has a really big penalty, but using it for augmenting your edge in combat is OK without penalty. He Could Have Been A Good Godi 17 is used with penalty for see the gods, but it could augment without penalty your sacrifice, or you can use it for became a Godi.

I have not detected in my game abuses with ability names (and the abuses are relative, because they depend of the problems that the Narrator puts in the episode). People try to define his character in the description, not to became super-powerful. Surpringsly, the same players have tried to find 'holes in the rules' in another games which have more complex methods of character creation.

Regards,

Antonio