Lack of definition of feats

From: Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:37:13 -0000

> that as I'm asking for "Sun Spear does 4D6 of damage to the target
> with only its thinnest armor providing protection." I am NOT. I'm
> asking for "Sun Spear calls down burning shaft of light from the
> Sun." That's not a "rule". That's a description.

Ah, I understand. Well, I have a different opinion, and I try to explain why.

As I have played RuneQuest, I think Sun Spear calls down burning shaft of light..., etc. That sounds good for me. If the Old RQ player tell me "I call down burning shaft..." I would say, OK.

BUT, If the newbie-non-gloranthan-expert tell me "I light my spear with magical sunlight, so now I can see in the darkness of the cave" or "I invest my spear with the power and the light of the sun, so, the energy damage my enemies", I would say, OK Why not? And I'm very happy because my player has invented a new sense for a feat "Sun Spear". If I think the player action is strange for the name of the feat, just roll with Sun Affinity with a penalty (or, if it has nothing to do with sun affinity, I would say "sorry, you can't". If I have a closed spell description I found this limiting for our imagination. Althought I find useful some description of some feats, AS EXAMPLES. But not for all feats (too many pages that I prefer for other topics).

I need to be a Gloranthan-Expert? I don't think so. AFAIK in Glorantha there are A LOT of myths, and these myths are frequently contradictory as in the RW. I improvise the mythic feat of the god on the fly, and I found it funny (I understand there are other likes, this is my experience). If some canonical myth don't suit in my game, I just ignore it. If I have some myth very unofficial that I like, I put it in my game. If I haven't read (or don't remember) the official books, I try to use my own imagination.

There is not possibility of mistake, because everything I've found good in my game is the "authentic" Glorantha (for me, of course). I don't need to be an expert in Gloranthan Lore, because my glorantha may vary. I found useful reading gloranthan books, because my imagination is completed with a lot of good things imagined by other people (with a lot of more imagination than me), but it is not absolutely necessary.

Regards,

Antonio