Re: Foul and personal abuse [was Re: Heroic Actions [Rant, OT]]

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:35:15 +0000

Dan again :

>Where did I comment upon your advice, except as being part of
>"fourteen thousand messages"?

Well, given I've contributed several times to the thread that spawned your rant, I think the comment appearing to include me is justified. Perhaps a lesson on why we all shouldn't post generalised comments in anger. Nuff said.

>If feat interpretation is just one small thing why is there so many
>messages about it, or is feat interpreatation not something that
>the rules should help us with?

Feat interpretation is a big deal. People come to the game with the expectation that "magic is about spells" so when they see a name given to a bit of magic, they want to see the spell description that goes with it. That isn't how it works though.

>I don't think there is one correct way to interpret feats any more than
>you do, but there would be nice if there was. As it is now, either a
>feat can do one thing at one time and can't do the same thing six months
>later or I (or my player) has to write down every time we use it. At
>least I is not really interested in that, E.i. I want more structure.

First, I disagree strongly that one correct way to interpret feats would be nice - personally, I think that is awful.

Second, neither of your options is necessary. If you work from the feat name as descriptive, you can at least aspire to consistency. Run Over Tree Tops always allows you to, well, run over tree tops. The duration, range, and number of target charts (along with the small list of modifiers) allow you to work out consistently how well you can run over tree tops. The structure is there.

>I don't think that asking for help using the least defined part of the
>game, or even any part of the game that you don't understand is a
>strawman problem just as there is no minor pain if it is yours.

Agreed. Continuing to ask for help, or bleat that it doesn't solve a problem when someone has explained how to use the rules to solve the problem is a strawman.

Bitching that no one ever answers questions is entirely a strawman, probably daubed with rude signs and set on fire.

Perhaps time to return to the rules?

Cheers,
Graham

--