Re: Feat list

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...> <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:50:49 -0000

> What we eventually did was this: I did was sat down with him and
> discussed what we felt each of the feats that he had available and
> what they did. He was much happier. But what he wanted
the 'spells'
> to co was a lot different (and much more restricted) than what I
> would have allowed others.

I've done much the same thing with some of the players in my game, in fact I suppose I've done it at some level and with at least some feats and abilities with every player in my game. This does go for abilities as well as feats. One player wanted a Luck ability, but we talked about what he wanted to do with it and eventualy settled on 'Lucky at Cards', on the basis that way he doesn't get stiffed with inapropriateness modifiers all the time, but allows him to enjoy gambling as a social passtime without coming across as being a pro.

This process of defining what you realy want form your character is very important, even for dyed in the wool narativist players. Making it up as you go along is all very well, but often you want the flexibility that HW gives in defining the character you want without having to fit into a restrictive set of rules about what you can and can't do, and how you have to do it. On the other hand, you do want to know what your character can do, and how that works in the game.

For my group we need the flexible toolkit that HW provides, but also need to sit down and thrash out exactly what our character descriptions mean. That extra effort is enormously worthwhile and in my experience has allowed the creation of the majority of the most interesting RPG characters I've ever played or GM'd.

Simon Hibbs