Re: GURPS Glorantha

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...> <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:01:51 -0000

> Is GURPS flexible enough for the Hero Wars? Or would it be a glance
> backwards to RQ-type grounded mechanics?

IMO every system has its strengths and weaknesses and by playing to them you can have a great Gloranthan game with any rules set. For example D20 (note D20 not D&D) Glorantha would be fine for playing Pavis Rubble Adventurers (drink at Gimpy's; Enter Rubble; Kill Denizens; Level Up; Repeat). GURPS would be pretty good for emulating a lot of the RQ campaigns of yore, gritty combat, big on crunchy details, options for advatages and disadvantages. Heroquest (or Storyteller for that matter which perhaps the closest 'big' system to HW/HQ in feel) is great for more cinematic narrative games where you want to focus less on the details and more on the grand sweep of story.

Glorantha is a setting, not a game system. Heroquest is a storytelling game system - there are alternatives.

Greg and the guys produced the game they were interested in. They pleased me, it was in the style I wanted (and has turned me on to games of a similar vein like White Wolf's Exalted). If it does not please you there are alternatives out there. That is not being mean just realistic. II cannot make a range of games for different tastes, and one size fits all too often fails. Better to make a game they believe in and want to play.

What is interesting is the example of Traveller, another grande dame of settings which now has versions in D20, GURPS and Classic form. They play differently, feel differently but all meets the needs of varied groups of gamers.