Re: Digest Number 1115

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:10:09 +0000 (GMT)

You may well be looking for a more complicated solution than you need.

I am going to try and rephrase what we do to help you:

How I learned to stop worrying and love Heroquest

In an extended contest a player decides to use a feat. They have two braod classes of options:

  1. Use the feat as an augment/edge. This is mechanically simple, just figure the bonus to their ability. Go for description (over-sized weapons, hero-light etc.).Remember each exchange represents a period of struggle and the augment applies for the rest of the contest. You don't need to know the myth, but it is good to be poetic about the visible effect. If you lack inspiration go to basics Orlanth is winds, Humakt glowing weapons and swords etc.

Example: I have SwordHelp 3W. I call on Orlanth saying, Orlanth help me strike as you do with your sword of winds. Lightning runs up and down my sword, it feels ligher in my hand. +2 augment to Sword and Shield Fighting.

b: use the feat directly. You know the atackers ability. Find out how much the attacker wants to bid (hint: it is the risk they are taking). Ask the defender how they are defending (14 if no other option). Roll bones and consult table.

Example 1:
Harmast the Vingkot devotee is fighting Urggh the Troll. He says 'I re-enact Vingkot's Break Bludgeons feat when Vingkot broke Gash's maul in the fight at the Black Forest Stones'[see I just made that up]. Harmast's Break Bludgeons feat is 8W. 'I'm filled with Vingkot's hatred of trolls,' says the player, 'I'm bidding high, as I charge at him to splinter his weapon, my sword glowing with blue fire'. We agree he is spending 20 of his remaining 30AP. The narrator looks at Urrgh's sheet. The troll is an intiate of Zorak Zoran. I do not have an approriate ability to resist with. I could fall back on my Darkness affinity[-10], or initiate of ZZ[-5], or even my Close Combat[-20] but with a penalty for inapproriate use its going to be no better than the default of 14 [I just made the penalties up by feel, I can be quite cruel]. Harmast does 20AP, reducing Urghh to 5AP.
'Sparks fly', I say as your sword chops into Urrgh's
Maul, splinter's fly into Urrgh's face, and he seems blinded by the deafening crash of our weapons. [Note no permanent effects - that only occurs when we go below 0; if the blow had reduced Urghh to -15 (40AP loss) I might say, 'your cracking blow knocs Urggh's maul from his hands and cuts him across the hands and arms'. ]

Example 2
Illaro the Humakti devotee is engaged in a duel with Fazzur the Yanafil Tarnils devotee. Illaro attacks saying I use Humakt's Decapiate Foe feat - trying to re-enact the time he sliced of Tinga Tan's head in the fight of Yellow Field [again I just made that up]. 'My blade sings like air rushing down an alley as I aim for my hated foes kneck, its keen edge glints, alomst blindingly, in the sunlight', says the player. The player has Decapitate Foe at 10W and bids 40 of his 60 AP telling me he is making 'a fierce attack, always on the front foot, never on the back, giving no quarter, and expecting none either.' My Yanafili does not have any great feats to resist with, but he does have a combat affinity 'Yanafal is the true master of war,' I say, 'your blows shall not penetrate his shield. A crimson glow surrounds me, with a thick band of silver around my kneck.' I just resist with my affinity 0f 6W. Illaro wins and Fazzur goes down to 2 AP ' 'Your blade slices through his crimson aura with a sound like nails across a blackboard, being stopped only by the silver ring around his kneck, but he staggers back, winded by the force of the blow,' I say. [If Fazzur went to -38AP (an 80AP loss) then I might say
'Your blade slices clean through his crimson aura,
like a knife through butter, and on through his silver ring and kneck. Fazzur's head tumbles at your feat. Again no effect is permanent until the contest goes below 0AP.]

Example 3
Govoran the Mighty is in a blood feud struggle with Illig the Unlucky (a slight over the quality of some bacon began the killings). Illig has just seen Govoran over the other side of the field, having finished off an underling. 'I charge at Govoran with my Burst of Speed feet,' says Illig, moving with the speed of North Wind as he races across the Pass to bring the first icy snows of winter[again I just made this up]. Dagmar bids 10 of his 40 AP 'I am the wind, hear my roar, feel my icy point' cries Illig racing forward with his spear. Govoran could try to Run [17], but Govoran knows the Sunset Leap 'This will not be the sunset of my days,' cries Govoran, 'like Mastakos at Three Against the Crow, I shall leap to safety' [you guessed it I just made it up]. Govoran wins and Illig transfers 20 AP. 'Illig slips on the icy winds around his too quick feet, unbalanced he is confused as illig springs to one side, too fast for the eye to see, and reappers - behind him!'

Any help?

Note I fully expect everyone else to have different descriptions of the magic and or myths. IMO that is good.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)0207-337-6217 (W)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com