Re: Feat Use

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...> <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:26:31 -0000

> This is very much my problem. There are times that I feel that
the
> more I learn about Glorantha, the muddier it gets. While this
> property makes for interesting mythmaking, I find it less than
ideal
> for a game that I'm trying to play for fun.

I agree. Back when I was playing RQ and all the material started coming out, I had a friend who was a complete junky for it, and had access to quite a lot of it, playing RQ with him became very unenjoyable as he would start sprouting dogma at me front various official sources etc. Glorantha was a HUGE wealth of material, I have learned to live with it by focusing my group down to a small tiny itsibitsy part of it, and I dont allow them to wander far, both to allow them and me to get comfortable. No sorcery, no mystics, using the Borderlands scenarios to start with, exposing them to limited bits of Glorantha at a time.

> This is fine if what I'm looking for is to define my own truth.
I'm
> not. I'm looking for a good, well-thought-out setting that hangs
> together well so I don't have to make one. The more undefined
> Glorantha gets, the less utility I find it having in this area.

Said it before, my players and I are more mechanics... HW is less mechanics... its a basic conflict you have to want to get over, or you have to adapt it. My involvement in this forum is one way I am trying to come to grips with my own way of playing the game, I like to see other peoples ways (mostly) so I dont have to bother thinking of them myself.

> If that's what you're looking for. Personally, I never feel
> constrained by things being defined. I'm more than capable of
> eliminating things I don't want.

Or re-defining them to my own style, but I like to have something I can hook onto to start with... perhaps the starting point for you (and what I have done to some degree) might be to divorce the mythic history of glorantha from your feats and game and simply play it as a game system. Make up your own definitions of what the feats do, in a limited sense, and then slowly expand them, bringing in mythic elements as you go. Perhaps a "cant see the trees because of the forest" effect is plaguing you?