Re: Playing Hero Wars [was an entirely inappropriate subject line]

From: Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:52:46 -0000

>At the simplest level, it is +1/10th augment. But at several times
>it has also been described as a heroic action beyond mortal
>physical abilities. Sunset Leap (for eg) has been expressed as a
>capacity to make larger jumps, up to making godly jumps.
>My problem is how do you move from one to the other, and possibly
>in between. There is no effective mechanic other than storytelling
>preference.

I disagree a bit. There is an effective mechanic: Resistance.

The more heroic or difficult or anything is the action, the higher is the resistance.

So, you could use the distance rules (pp. 230-231) for leaping long distances (they are supposed to be for targeting, but it sounds good for me).

Natural Resistance. "The USUAL value for magic resistance is 14". You could use a higher resistance for difficult things. The resistance could be a natural force or an active being. "Many natural forces have masteries in their resistance". For example, for godling leaps to the Other World, you have to overcome the usual barrier of 10W3.

Difficulty magics (p. 172-173) Many tasks are difficult even when using magic. So use Sunset Leap for directed -self-teleport is +40; 14W2 or more.

So, Sunset Leap 10W3 is of course more "heroic" than Sunset Leap 14, because you could overcome better resistances and do more spectacular deeds. Spending hero-points for bumping your results also helps.

Regards,

Antonio