Re: Re: Feat Use -- my confusion

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:38:34 -0800

> > > For us this is a key aspect of HW - using a feat can force your
> > > opponent to rely on a lower skill.
> >
> >But isn't a magical attack always resisted by the opponent's highest
> >magical affinity? I really have to reread the rules!

No, it doesn't; and yes, you should :-) A hero resists with his "most relevant" ability (HW 170). It is incumbent on the player to convince the narrator that his chosen resistance is relevant, penalties can and should be applied for inappropriate defenses.

As a rule of thumb, start with your absolute best ability and see if it makes sense to use it as your defense. If it doesn't (or you don't think you can convince you Narrator that it does), then move down your list of abilities until you get to one that does. Remember that Mundane abilties are perfectly okay to use to resist magic.

Roderick