Philosophy and hospitality.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:20:32 +0000

Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...> wrote:
> Lets clarify. I assume that you are not happy with the philosophy of
> hero wars. Folks here are trying to help you, IMO, because we
> assumed you were fine with the philosophy, but not the
> implementation. But if you're not happy with the philosophy then no
> amount of explanation of the implementation will help you.

Hurm. I'm not sure what you have in mind when you say this. I know that I for one am a darn sight happier with the implementation of HW than I am with _some_ characterisations of its "design philosophy". (Invariably those made by someone other than the actual designer, perhaps unsurprisingly.)

> If you have done a 'suck and see' and former RQ'ers here (a good
> number of us) can't sway you with our damascene tales then I guess
> the question has to be: what do you want from us? If the answer is
> just a chance to vent your frustration that Glorantha is not
> supported by a game system that follows a design philosophy you
> like, then I sympathize, but frankly, good hosts though we might
> want to be, walking into our 'house' and deriding our furniture is
> not going to keep the conversation upbeat for too long ;)

Given that Mike has already mentioned he has an on-going HW game, and wants to address issues to do with the running of same, why is this group any less _his_ "house" than it is of anyone that of anyone else in a similar position? I'm sure it's not Ian's intent, but there's a potentially unfortunate subtext here.

Cheers,
Alex.