Maximum improv penalty

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:57:53 +0000

Jeff wrote:

> General consensus is that -20 penalty (coming from one source) is
> about as big a penalty you can get and still use the skill. After
> that, one starts to wonder if its simply one that is completely
> inappropriate.

And so say the rules, IIRC.

However, -20 is not really a very large modifier. The difference between a Tribal X (e.g. Tribal Champion) and Clan X (e.g. Clan Lawspeaker) is about 20, so a -20 penalty moves a contestant only one notch down the heroic hierarchy. As Tribal Xs often interact with Clan Xs, penalties greater than -20 are important.

Allowing very large improvisational modifiers (rather than an outright 'no') is not important when the characters are at the 5W level, but its already becoming marginally important in our game at the 10W2 level, and by extrapolation would be important in a Heroic W4 game.