Re: Complete Successes

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 04:32:45 +0000

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 09:55:39PM +0000, Graham Robinson wrote:
> The "excess bumps bump opponent down" is partially helpful, but only really
> for wiping our people you have a mastery or two advantage on anyway.

... or if you're using my open-ended rolls variant, and you're very good at rolling a sequence of 11's on a d12... ;-)

ObWarStory: We've been using this variant since the new year, and right at the end of this week's session produced our first quadruple-crit. (!) (11, 11, 1, on a roll against 2W2.) Since the "world" only rolled a success, that would technically be one-step-better-than-a-complete-victory. (As opposed to just a Minor Victory, as it would otherwise have been.) Mercifully it was just a simple contest Sense Hidden Beings, otherwise the collateral damage... *shudder*

OTOH, I feel I morally owe the player in question a very long note about the details of what his character saw -- better get writing now. ;-)

Getting back to the (future) standard rules, though: I'm surprised you're not allowed to spend a HP to get this effect, though. It seems unnecessary, and inconsistent -- any rationales as to the thinking? Especially given, as Mike says, the increasing prevalence of rules where a given level of success is _required_.

Cheers,
Alex.