Re: Berserkers...

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:13:38 -0700

> All the recent Bull about Urox reminded me of a question I have about
> Berserk magics. If you have 'Berserk' at say 17, do you still have to
> roll to get the effects (17 or less)?

Yes. Note that even if you use the "Berserk" as an augment to Close Combat instead of on its own you have "gone berserk".

>I'd say so, but what happens if
> you Crit or Fumble?

Non-Canon answer: You get a bigger edge if you Crit (1/2 instead of 1/4). You get no edge (but still suffer the bad effects) if you fumble.

> Assuming actually GOING berserk is treated as an
> Unconnected Action (or whatever the phrase is), is there any
> particular way to oppose it, or can any relevant roll attempt to?

Some cults have anti-berserk magic. The problem is that they don't work very well over a distance, so you have to be pretty close to use "Calm Berserk". If you fail...

If
> so, what happens with a Marginal Success, for instance? I can imagine
> a Challana Arroy, fingers crossed, attempting 'Calm Patient' while
> the Uroxi warband winds up to speed...

One CA won't stop a group (unless she has a humongous ability in Calm Berserk); she'd be rolling with a multiple attack penalty.

RR