Re: Re: Maximum improv penalty

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:08:44 -0800

simon.hibbs_at_... wrote:

> I agree with Benedict. When your characetr's abilities are in the
> single mastery area a -20 penalty looks like a lot, but when
> they're in the 2 mastery zone it becomes less crippling and
> actualy quite manageable.

I think allowing arbitrarily large improv penalties can make the game more, er, "heroic". I mean that one aspect of a true hero is that he can force the world to conform to him, not vice-versa. Using a completely inappropriate skill to deal with a problem (with a good explanation and a large improv penalty) can be seen as a way of making every problem into the problem you know how to handle.

e.g. Harrek's mother and girlfriend are fighting. Harrek wants them to get along. Harrek's player says, "Family quarrels are my enemy! I destroy the quarrel with my 'Smash enemy 5W6' skill!" The referee says, "Um, okay, that's a -60 improv penalty, but it was only a 15-point argument to start with, so your odds are good..."

In short, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. But if you are a great enough hero, everything *really is* a nail.