Re: Frustrating rules

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:57:46 -0800

Mike

>my initial post was to express annoyance with the standard
>response to "how does" questions being "it does what you want." I
>characterized the response as unhelpful.

Well, "it does what you want" within the rules of contests. Just as D&D magic is mostly a painstakingly described way of removing HP from the opponent, Hero Wars magic is mostly a loosely described way of removing AP from the opponent.

It may take a bit of description, but if someone can plausibly work a feat into a contest, then they can use it to remove AP from the opponent. So the Snarl Darkness feat could be used to terrify a foe with a ferocious snarl, causing them to doubt their ability to win. Or it could conceivably be used to evade pursuit (darkness makes you harder to see, lose AP in the evasion contest).

Since you've run the game, I think you know this. For me, it's really satisfying that this is all there is. So much less to remember! No chance of getting bogged down by differing interpretations of a rule!

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html