Re: Re: Missiles and defending

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 01:10:50 +0000

As far as the general topic of missile troops vs. meleeing infantry, I'm reminded of Sandy's "Genertelan Art of War" article, in which he precis'es Archer Jones (no pun intended...) on such R/P/S questions on troop "type" (more particularly as related to the Ancients period, but close enough for jazz). Meta-summary: "light infantry" beats "heavy infantry", as the former have the advantages of range and mobility, vs. the latter's superior mayhemic potential. (Shoot, shoot, run away, shoot.) The paper you need for this particular rock being of course, cavalry...

I don't know to what extent that's either applicable or significant to the generic RPGist small-scale engagements, though of course, as you could equally well be using HW on the scale of raids or set-piece battles (as I've done myself), such considerations are well worth factoring in. (Or whatever one's own take on military-theoretical or Gloranthopaedian take on them is... Vanganthi beats avilry beats Esrolian infantry square???)

Cheers,
Alex.