Magical wards

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...> <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 23:49:45 -0000

Had a search thru the archive and found nothing.

I am running some old RQ adventures converted to HQ and several of them have 'wards' as important parts of the story. Have 'wards' vanished from HW, turned into sorcery, or ???

I can imagine some of them have become wyters, but the localised small scale warding would seem to still play a roll.

I was going to run it that the warding requires markers (rods) to define the area (which can be hidden), and a short statement of activation.

Damage would be based around Might of the warding and a contest: minor defeat = 1 hurt, major defeat = injury, critical defeat = dying. Target minor victory = no damage, major victory = no further effect by the ward, critical = ward breaks. The ward would attack every round.

The ward rods could be attacked to disrupt the ward, but have to be found to start with, and if pre-setup are often buried under stone etc...

Obviously this means wards are available to players and can be used around a camp at night... but if you made them ritual based and require 6 hrs to set up that would put a stop to that. Or maybe make them one use till recharged by a ritual...

Opinions appreciated (or possibly there are rules for this and I havent seen them?)