Re: Magical wards

From: Charles Corrigan <charles_at_...> <charles_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 08:12:29 -0000

> Damage would be based around Might of the warding and a contest:
> minor defeat = 1 hurt, major defeat = injury, critical defeat =
> dying. Target minor victory = no damage, major victory = no further
> effect by the ward, critical = ward breaks. The ward would attack
> every round.

In my opinion...

A ward should be enchanted either as either delayed magic (one "attack" only) or a permanent enchantment. If a permanent enchantment, it might still only have one "attack" until refreshed, unless the enchantment empowered the ward with an appropriate otherworld entity.

Whether you use a simple contest or an extended contest, there is only one contest, not one per round. The result of this contest are the final result of _all_ attempts to pass the wards. If characters unwittingly trigger the wards and are repulsed in a simple contest, I might let them attempt a second simple contest try to "attack" the ward and remove it, as long as they used entirely different skills in the second contest.

regards,
Charles