Re: Magical Wards

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:55:33 +0000 (GMT)

From: "Charles Corrigan
>A ward should be enchanted either as either delayed
magic (one "attack" only) or a permanent enchantment. <

Charles stab looks pretty good to me.

In a slight variation I might suggest that magic being used as a warding has an increased duration (the length of time the warding stays charged) and an increased number of targets (figure the old area as the number of simultaneous attackers that can pass the warding). Then roll the warder's ability (feat, spell etc.) against the first n penetration attempts. Off the top of my head a Vingan could use her Shield Non-combatant feat in this way to set up a 'safe area' for non-combatants in a fight that would repel the fist n people trying to bust through to attack them. I would only tend to allow this where the feat suggested some sort of group or area protection.

The other alternative would be to treat classic wardings as a ritual. How widespread knowledge of the ritual is depends on the feel you want. The markers/wands are ritual components. The resistance/difficulty of the ritual could be set as the strength of the resulting warding i.e. a 10W resistance is a 10W warding. Again modify this target number by duration and number of targets. Some warding rituals may allow community support, however would allow communities to put up pretty resiliant defences so that needs some more thought.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)0207-337-6217 (W)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com