Re: Group Simple Contests

From: Alexandre Lanciani <takenegi_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:59:56 +0100

Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo, antalvarez1976_at_...:

> I have run very few group simple contests, because usually, I prefer
> to use normal simple contests (as in Benedict's rule or converting a
> group contest in various simple contests).

Do you (and Benedict) have also changed the "attacking multiple opponents" rule in group extended contests, for symmetry's sake?

> I understand that higher level of success always wins. You only have
> to adjust the result if there's a Success vs Success result (low
> roll has marginal victory), but I would consider also failures and
> fumbles in a Crit. vs Crit. (narrator decides).

This makes crits really powerful in simple group contests, for no matter how many fumbles you have on your side, the other side at best can hope for a narrator decides result, regardless of what they rolled (short of another critical).

>> 2) how do you apply the mastery canceling rule when the two sides
>> have both mastery and non mastery characters?

Then the conclusion of a GSC where there's a w2 character on each side is foregone: narrator determines. Isn't it the purpose of that rule to avoid these certain results?

Note that in your system there is no such problem: of course the w2 characters are the actors, and the other just augment them. Then you cancel masteries and have them engage in a simple contest.

But I think I still prefer the standard rules in this case, because I feel your system introduces another artificial step.

--
Regards,
Alexandre.