Re: Relearning with HQ?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:53:41 -0800

>If I start now with HW while I still have their attention how much
>reteaching will I have to do when HQ comes out? Will it mostly
>be "that doesn't matter anymore" or will they need to completely
>relearn how portions of the rules (the magic system in particular
>worries me).

Per Greg's comments at GloranthaCon and my own reading of the GTA draft, theist magic is little changed (from Thunder Rebels, which was itself something of a change from Hero Wars).

The basic concepts of the game are the same, but it's a lot better presented. And lots of specific rules are tweaked (for example, there's a revised Extended Contest matrix which doesn't have the "drunken masters" problem).

The biggest problem is that learning HQ in the first place would be so much easier than learning HW...

>Can I assume that if we use theism as presented there we'll be HQ
>speed already?

Pretty close. (Especially if you don't have devotees -- and that's not because devotees have changed but because there's a new way to bridge the gap between initiates and devotees.)

The only thing you'd miss out on is Common Magic, which is briefly explained in Imperial Lunar Handbook. For most people, it's a source of augments. You have a Common Magic keyword and can pick 5 abilities under it (plus more if you explicitly include them in your character).

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html