Re: HW Ancient Greece?

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:53:16 -0600

On 3/14/2003 at 1:46 PM Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

>Well, most people don't seem to use "magic" as we recognize it in
>Glorantha.
>When starting a journey, sacrafice to the gods so they don't put trouble in
>your way. When in trouble appeal to your patron god(dess). That's about it.
>Individual items are magical, a very few people (and you've identified
>probably half of them already :-) ) do magic, but the rest is "scream for
>help". A few people do have magical talents (Heracles' Strength, the Winged
>sons of the North Wind, Achilles' enchanted skin). I certainly would be
>leery of letting people have more than one "affinity" from mommy or daddy!

I'm beginning to get the idea that heroes in ancient Greece wouldn't really so much have affinities as just feats, which they'd acquire when they wrote the character up; acquiring more as the game went on woulkd be difficult, but probably not impossible. Not sure how I'd limit how many feats somebody would have, though.

>Common Magic is basically "Lucky Charms (no, not the cereal). They *only*
>provide an augment, never used as a direct effect. So a Rabbit's Foot charm
>might give "Leap +2", a "see in the dark" charm let you see in the dark but
>not provide light, etc.

That would be pretty easy to do, and very appropriate for the setting.

Thanks for the comments; this seems like it would actually be easier to run than a normal game of Hero Wars.

Guy

Always choose the option that'll most likely blow up in your own face. You never know when a tribe of werebears is going to want to skin you alive, for instance. Those are the Munchausenesque moments you can brag about over beer for years.

Of course, sometimes you get bitten by vampires infected with bubonic plague, but on the whole, you have a great time.