Re: Re: HW Ancient Greece?

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:41:25 -0600

Sounds intriguing, and in an Atlantean setting, I did want to play around quite a bit with the roles of the gods. Poseidon especially, since he's the special patron of Atlantis.

Basically, my idea is that there is virtually no religious organization beyond the individual temple or region (at best), so lots of variety happens. In Place A, Artemis is a goddess of the wild; in place B, she's a goddess of fertility, and they don't know of her wild aspect. In place B, Poseidon is the father of horses; in place C, he's the lord of the oceans and god of earthquakes, but they don't know of his role with horses (other than he's sometimes shown with horses in their iconography). There may not be an Olympian pantheon as such; each god may have his own cult, but not be part of a whole. I believe I read in Oliver Dickinson's book on Mycenaean archaeology that the Linear B texts show offerings to a god whose name I forget, a son of Zeus, that is unknown to us; I'd probably go with things like that somewhat, too.

However, for an Atlantean campaign, I don't know that I'd really keep it very historical; part of the reason for an Atlantean campaign is to step outside even the tenueous bonds of continuity of Greek mythology. I don't want to run into things like, "Hey, according to the Iliad, Thesticles was in Colchis about now, not in Corinth!". I also want this campaign to range all over the legendary Mediterranean, too, visiting Egypt, the Pillars of Heracles, legendary places like Tartessos, and perhaps even meeting such people or beings as Atlas and Prometheus. Some anachronisms would probably be included, especially when there's mythological precedent for them; the Etruscans would be fun to visit, and maybe Dido of Carthage.

Atlanteans/Minoans as good guys? Why not? The Lunars are, aren't they?

Guy

On 3/16/2003 at 11:53 PM flynnkd2 wrote:

>> I have two possible settings in mind for this campaign. One
>is "Age of Heroes", pretty much just adventuring in the days of
>Jason, Heracles, the Argonauts, Castor and Pollux, etc. The other is
>an Atlantis campaign, where the cruel yoke of Atlantean sovreignty
>lies heavy upon the lands that would one day become Greece, Egypt,
>etc. Not sure which would be more fun; it would be cool running
>into Heracles and the others, but I would have freer reign with an
>Atlantean campaign.
>>
>> Guy
>> _____
>
>Poor atlanteans, always the bad guys. You could turn it around and
>run a Minoan age game where the minoans are the enlightened heroic
>ones (which they pretty much were at the time) and the greeks are
>the barbarains... and in the end a very powerful sorceror blows them
>all up... now that would be a main protaganist to defeat.. )))
>
>Less gods maybe then a heroic age one, but option to bring in early
>greek myths, titans and formative gods (Zeus the BoyGod)...

>To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: hw-rules-unsubscribe_at_...
>To Complain constructively please email me at steve_at_....

Always choose the option that'll most likely blow up in your own face. You never know when a tribe of werebears is going to want to skin you alive, for instance. Those are the Munchausenesque moments you can brag about over beer for years.

Of course, sometimes you get bitten by vampires infected with bubonic plague, but on the whole, you have a great time.