Re: HW Ancient Greece?

From: epweissengruber <epweissengruber_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:20:42 -0000

> Well, most people don't seem to use "magic" as we recognize it in
Glorantha.
> When starting a journey, sacrafice to the gods so they don't put
trouble in
> your way.

Perhaps then Sorcery w. its blessings and curses might be the best way to handle this. Priest/sorceror or the hero himself/herself could give a blessing, rolled against the number of recipients, level of effect, etc.

>When in trouble appeal to your patron god(dess). That's about it.

Divine intervention rules?
Write it up as a 1 use per day fetish? (I mean the fetish mechanic, the hero doesn't have to carry a totemic object)

Common magic seems like the best way of depicting the superstitious lucky charms carried by people in all ages.

So -- keep magic simple and very limited.

The Homeric heroes spend more time with persuasion and exploiting relationships than in summoning gods and spirits. Perhaps relationships are actually the key to doing a Homeric game.

> Individual items are magical, a very few people (and you've
identified
> probably half of them already :-) ) do magic, but the rest
is "scream for
> help". A few people do have magical talents (Heracles' Strength,
the Winged
> sons of the North Wind, Achilles' enchanted skin). I certainly
would be
> leery of letting people have more than one "affinity" from mommy
or daddy!

> Common Magic is basically "Lucky Charms (no, not the cereal). They
*only*
> provide an augment, never used as a direct effect. So a Rabbit's
Foot charm