Re: Equipment

From: Alexandre Lanciani <takenegi_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:33:09 +0100

Jane Williams, janewilliams20_at_...:
>> I prefer to have special rules for characters that
>> (almost) nobody plays
>> rather than for the characters (almost)  everybody
>> plays.

> In whose game? Half my party are ducks, and another is
> a trollkin. In a game I play in, iron and/or enchanted
> swords are the norm.

Hardly the party of good-but-otherwise-normal clanboys and girls as described in TR/ST/BA/OiD, or even in the sample characters section of HW, don't you think?

Would you deny that, so far, the standard character of HW is the Heortling fyrdman (in all his incarnations)?

And that the standard foe of the standard character is the Enemy (Tarsh/Dara Happan...) Soldier?

How many pages of sourcebooks are devoted to ducks and trollkins as opposed to the above mentioned characters? I'm the first to say that you don't have to play what's written in the sourcebooks (nor it should be necessarily encouraged), but even in Pendragon you didn't have to play a knight. In fact I run a wonderful Viking campaign (PendrAmlet, as I called it ;) ), still the game was written for knights.

If your campaign's focus is on Ducks, they you should renormalize everything on them. It's a characteristic of HW, that you have to scale everything on the characters anyway. There are no absolute values (and this is _good_ IMO, I guess you don't agree, though).

> Think about RW systems of measuring temperature for a
> moment. The Farenheit scale was supposed to be
> usefully set with human body temperature at 100. Only
> they got it wrong, and none of the points actually
> mean anything, so we dropped it. Centigrade is better:
> we all know the freezing and boiling points of water.
> (Unless we're a long way up a mountain). And Kelvin is
> ideal, because absolute zero is just that, even if
> we're never going to actually meet zero degrees (I
> hope!)

"Brr... It's cold today, eh?"

"Hell yes, it's 275 K!"

I think it's odd. I don't like to handle big numbers. :)

--
Regards,
Alexandre.