Re: Equipment

From: Alexandre Lanciani <takenegi_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:56:01 +0100

Peter Larsen, peterl_at_...:
>> If I'm playing a Heortling game, I guess that my characters 90% of the time
>> will meet other Heortlings, not Trolls or Ducks.
>>
>> So what is it best, to modify the statistics of 90% of the people you meet
>> AND to modify the statistics of the other 10%, too, or to just modify the
>> latter?

> The best is, of course, not have have to modify much at all.
> An Uz with the ability "Strong 5W" should be about as strong
> as a Heortling with "Strong 5W."

[...]

> Anyway, the upshot of all this is that there is no reason why
> you need a sliding scale at all -- Strong 15 is Strong 15, but more
> Uz have strong 15 than Heortlings so, on the whole, Uz are stronger.
> Right?

Yesbut... :)

My initial analogy was between a hero's Small 13 and a small dog Small 12. Surely this does not mean that the hero is smaller than your pet. The hero is small by human standards, while the dog is small compared to other creatures of AR.

Anyway, the point of this thread is which weapons (since that's where it started) should give bonuses to CC (or RC) if the weapon and armor rank are dropped in favor of modifiers. So:

If I play a Heortling game, the vast majority of people the characters are going to meet have some sort of basic weapon (spear, shield, you name it) and some sort of basic armor. Right?

Then what is best, having to modify this vast majority of people's abilities, or just modify the abilities of people who don't have basic weapons and armor (that are basic in a Heortling game, that is)?

Just for the record, I don't use weapon ranks anyway. It's far important to know if your weapon is Good, Made of Iron, or of the Hellsfire Forge 12w, than to know if it's a sword or whatever.

But I'm lazy, you know...

--
Regards,
Alexandre.