Re: Guess what... another demo-related question

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:52:50 +0200

Wulf Corbett:

> >Does this mean that anyone with "Strong" at a reasonable level
> should always
> >make an extra die roll before combat?
>
> Why not? It's just the HW version of a damage bonus after all, almost
> every system has it.

        I think that it should always be treated as an unrelated action, with a cut on the augmenting character. And the player should provide a description of what the character does. Like Bruce Lee when he contract *every* muscle of his body, or when he licks his blood: he's clearly trying for an augmentation! Why his foe doesn't attack him in the meantime? Because it's an unrelated action! ;)

        OTOH, there are some actions which don't fit in this scheme, but they usually occur before a contest, which is to say before you determine AP and hence initiative. I'm thinking of a mounted fighter against a footman. The mounted fighter tries to augment his close combat with his ride (which sums up a lot of potential advantages like high ground...) but he can end with the horse rearing or himself off-balance. In the end much more realistic than just a modifier because you are mounted and your foe is not.

> Personally I'm probably going to say you can
> either roll as usual and take the chance of losing, or accept a +2
> Edge/+1 Bonus per 10 points of any augmentation Ability/Affinity. The
> guy with 2W2 Strong is almost guaranteed (he has to fumble or the
> resistance crit, to fail to get it) a +8 Edge on the Augmentation
> table, which fits my estimate, but he might try more, and risk a
> massive negative if he fails!

        10 points instead of five, eh? And for APs loans? You don't have to roll if you try to loan an APs amount equal to or lesser than half your ability? But is this only for NPCs (to cut the dice rolling) or does it applies also to PCs?

	Cheers,
	A augmenting Alex