Re: Big, Small, headaches....

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:39:09 -0000

> Exactly. Or change resistances. I'm usually very subjective
(aribtrary? ;)
> ) on assessing resistances anyway. Isn't it simpler to change
things when
> they matter than to worry about them from the beginning? In other
words, I'd
> apply modifiers only if there's a Bison Rider that attempts the
same action,
> or make the task easier for him by lowering the resistance to his
roll,
> otherwise I wouldn't bother. And only if I wanted to emphasize the
point.

Generaly, I'd only impose relative modifiers like this is there's a very clear case for doing so. For example, if a Lunar cavalry officer finds himself challenged to a traditional Pentan game played on horseback, he gets a penalty. If a Pentan nomad gets challenged to traditional Lunar cavalry practice tests, he gets a penalty. In both cases there's a direct and obvious case for a modifier because the character is being deliberately stitched up.

I would not allow a charcter to spontaneously decide that he should get a bonus in some arbitrary riding contest, just because he was a Pentan, or a Praxian or whatever.

Simon Hibbs