Re: Big, Small, headaches....

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:59:34 -0000

Sorry if I was belabouring the obvious, but the post to which I was replying suggested that with my view of the world it was impossible to play the game, which implied a rather extremist interpretation of what I was trying to say. Hence, I thought it actually worth stating this.

> > In no way do I suggest that... this concept be printed in a rule
> > book. To do so would of course get people confused, offended,
> > and annoyed by it...
>
> The problem is that prominent posters, including yourself, have
from
> time to time defended the (IMO clearly wrong) ratings in "Anaxial's
> Rooster" using this 'concept', despite the weight of internal (e.g.
> comparison of Big and Small ratings across species in AR), external
> (e.g. Hero Wars rules which allow ability ratings to be compared),
> auctorial (e.g. Robin Laws' posts) and above all *practical*
reasons
> that show this is *not* how they were meant to be interpreted.
>
> Isn't it easier to say "Oops, got that one wrong!", rather than
build
> this monstrous edifice of complexity and unnecessary second-
guessing?

Hmmm, I could ramble on for far too long regarding this, so I'll try to keep this as short as I can in the face of my "lonwinded 1W" disability. If anyone wants to discuss any points at greater length, let me know.

--Bryan