Re: Re: +1 per 10

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:30:27 -0800

> > Taken out of context, but does anybody else think that +1 auto-
> > augment per 10 points of ability is a little low?

Well, it *is* meant to be the "Safe and Sane" augment - don't want to take a chance rolling crap on that important augment? Go the easy way and take a lower augment.

Also, as GTA pople who got their HQ Debut copies at Toronto may have noticed:
In Variable Augmenting, the result of a Marginal victory (usually the most common victory - Success-Success) is 1/2 the attempted bonus. Which, if you always go for the maximum bonus available to your ability rating, turns out to be 1/10 of your ability rating. (Page 77 in the Hero's version, not sure what Initiates or Runemasters got - look for the "Modifiers and Augmentation" section. There is no Table for the rule, instead there is a Contest format writeup for "Variable augment".)

There are a number of reasons to go with 1/10, perhaps the most important is: It is easy to calculate on the fly. The only two real choices we had were 5 and 10. Trying to divide 13w2 by 9, 8, 7 or 6 is tough to do on the best of days. 4 might have worked (it divides easily into 20), but that is a better augment than the 1/5 of HW.

RR