Re: Re: True logarithmic augmentation

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:16:04 -0500

At 04:32 PM 3/25/2003 +0000, Nick Brooke wrote:
>My biggest problem with augmentation is that as written it *can* be
>open-ended (this is apparently by design, but without thinking the
>consequences through).

Are you referring to the potential size of the bonus here? Rather than just saying that augmenting hasn't broken anything in my game so far, I'd like to know exactly what you are referring to.

>My second biggest problem is multiple augments off the same ability
>(e.g. improvising multiple appropriate feats off your highest rated
>Affinity).
>
>Keith Nellist (I think) had what could be an excellent suggestion --
>when trying for multiple augmentations, only the best result takes
>any effect.

I prefer allowing only one augment per ability, affinity or not. That's not in my HQ fragment, though there are other limits such as being able to augment from only 1 magic immediately, 3 if you have time, and more only with not-very-specified extra time and practice. I'll stick with one augment per affinity and allow additional feat use from that affinity for special effects. Allowing only one augment per affinity also avoids the implied extra die rolls in "trying for multiple augmentations."

Now that my players' characters are reaching w2 in some affinities (all long since devotees), I've encouraged them to prepare their own magical "blessings" each day. Using the -20 modifier for a day-long magical duration, I allow them to auto-augment based on whichever affinity they choose at a rating-20, provided the character takes the time to perform the correct rituals in the morning. The Destor devotee usually chooses Combat or Wind, the Issaries devotee chooses Communication, etc., and they get an augment to any appropriate abilities for the rest of the day. The only time opposition occurs is if an enemy or some other effect is trying to impede the heroes' magic. I give an additional +1 augment on special days, so the Orlanthi gets an additional +1 if he uses his Wind affinity on Windsday and Issaries gets an additional +1 on any of his affinities on Luck Day (holy days are even better). I also enforce the visibility of active magic, so stealthy missions have less of it.

>Sandy "Quad Damage" Petersen makes a persuasive case for +1 per 5, at
>least when starting out. Anyway, encouraging players to make opposed
>rolls against a resistance of their own choosing feels uncomfortably
>masturbatory to me. Give 'em generous free augments, and propel them
>into conflict, that's what I say!

That works for me. My players' characters are just reaching w2 in ability and I don't mind if they augment to w4 with enough planning. Players seem to like bonuses for some reason. :-) The enemy can always do the same thing.

Thanks,
Andy