Re: +1 per 10 alternatives, etc.

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:29:56 -0000

> ...The high number of resistance rolls was the biggest
>hurdle for the players (that and the fact that the non-keyword
>abilities--you know, the abilities that you especially want for your
>character--are rated significantly lower than the keyword abilities,
>but that's a rules complaint).

I sympathise with both points, but I think I prefer things the way they are on both counts. In the case of non-keyword abilities, if you realy care about them you can always make some of them your prefered abilities at 5w2 or 2w2.

Opposed rolls are usefull because they 'flatten out' the probability curve of possible outcomes. Ok, you don't care about technical probability maths, but basicaly it means that characters with abilities over 2w don't _always_ succeed, they just mostly succeed. If you want characetrs with a mastery to automaticaly succeed then why not just make that call. If you want a broader possible spread of results, then make it an opposed roll.

I like opposed rolls anyway because IMHO it increases the suspense of the roll, it introduces an extra unknown factor.

I think one problem with the current way of doing things are the odd default values. I use a default resistance of 10 rather than 14 for example, just because it's easier to remember and check results.

Simon Hibbs