RE: Re: +1 per 10

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:22:36 -0000

Kevin writes:

> I don't use the limitation of only one augment from a mundane ability.
> "OK... So I have my bargain ability, augmented with my negotiation
> magic. I also have a high Wealth, an information gathering network,
> friends in high places, an eye for value, and a good relationship
> with our noble House."

The HeroQuest rules positively *encourage* this. And "automatic" augments don't usually require an action (as they appeared to in Hero Wars), while I think rolled ones do. So the balance does change significantly, and I rather like it.

There's a cap on the number of *magical* augments you can use (three, usually), which is fine by me (and it's strictly one augment per ability, inc. affinities, in HQ... so the improvised feats problem goes away)

After discussing this with Issaries, I've got to say I'm coming round to the new way of doing things.

The only house rule I'll probably add is a cap of +20 from all augmentation attempts combined (mundane, magical, automatic or rolled-for). Keeps wannabe Harrek-killers and scenario-breakers off my back.

> I should also say that such augmentation fests are only used for
> major/climactic contests in an episode, and the villain does the same
> thing. Some episodes are built around finding out what the villain's
> augmentation regimen is likely to be, and working to thwart it.

Eminently sensible.

Cheers, Nick