Re: +1 per 10 alternatives, etc.

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:22:10 -0800

Andy

> >apparently HeroQuest
> >drops the simple "roll to see if you succeed" and makes everything a
>>contest.
>
>That's what I get for not reading my HQ fragment carefully enough yet. I'm
>not enamored of the clatter of multiple dice and the frustration of my
>players (that's _my_ HW group, not necessarily anyone else's, and several
>of them play a lot of Amber and happen to stereotypically hate dice) as the
>dice "rob" them of enjoyment, so I'll be using ability tests and fewer die
>rolls. MHQWV :-)

I think I agree, although I suspect the change was made so that the standard consequences can apply.

>really liked the Jrusteli marine sergeant going around showing those
>backward Elk and Pig barbarians that messing with us was going to provoke a
>non-lethal ass-kicking. I was even planning what he would do if the game
>continued, such as recruiting the Elk hostage/guide as a follower.

I'm quoting this just to mention that this is a perfect example of picking up a follower during play.

>In David Dunham's
>Jrusteli game at G-Con, I managed to come up with +6-+8 total bonuses from
>auto-augmenting, and that was with a starting level hero with mostly 13s.

Some of that might come from decent character design, but I also was making a conscious effort to allow any reasonable augmentation, more than I would have with my previous games.

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html