New character creation

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 01:38:19 +0000

On the Hero Wars list Jane Williams wrote:

[The 100-word character creation method has problems like the following.]

> "I've only written 98 words: let me think about it for
> a bit and see if I can't squash two more adjectives in
> there."
>
> "I've got 101 words! Argh! Should I drop 'sure-footed'
> or 'clever'?"
>
> "I'd like to describe the tragic deaths of his family,
> but if I do, I won't have room for any skills"

I'm using the following rules for new characters in our campaign, which are more powerful than normal starting characters:

Provide a 200 word write up (rather than 100 words). Then spend 225 HP on increasing your character's abilities. You may spend no more than 100 HP on each ability. Also, you may not start with any ability above 10W2.

If you want to have more abilities, increase the length of your write up for a cost of 3 words per HP spent (e.g. if you want a 299 word write up, you will have only 225-(299-200)/3=192 HP for increasing ratings).

I think this method eliminates some of the problems you mention.

Someone remarked that writing 200 words is rather difficult. I increased the number of words to encourage broader characters. I choose 200 words because the abilities gained during play had doubled the number of abilities that my character had.