Re: Re: +1 per 10 alternatives, etc.

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 20:59:06 +0100

> > > The fact that once you're over a mastery, you can't fail
> > > unless its a contest? Certainly that's why we never use the
> > > straight ability test.
> >
> > Yes. And the fact that if there's no opposition, you should suceed
> > anyways.
> >
> > Certainly the old 'simple contests' were undramatic and
> > extremely 'ho hum' - pesonally, if I want a 'simple contest' I
> > just set the difficulty low. There's always that chance that
> > the thing that 'everybody knows' may be utterly wrong... =)
> >
> > It works out pretty well in practice. There's more doubt and
> > uncertainty out there and we don't roll the dice as often.
>

>I don't really get this

Not surprised. I was talking about straight ability tests, Jeff seems to be saying something I don't agree with about Simple contests.

I think the key to understanding Hero Wars is to keep changing your definition of "no self respecting hero fails".

Ability tests (i.e. roll under you ability target number) are a waste of time. Even starting characters have an 85% chance of succeeding for many skills. I don't use 'em. Similarly, simple contests with a difference of much over a mastery are too predictable. Transfer both of these into "no self respecting hero" and save dice rolling.

Where, for me, the dice get interesting is when a simple contest is close to 50/50. Enough uncertainty to be worth rolling, quick enough that you don't bog down into dice and numbers.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson