Re: Re: Resisting Magic

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 00:44:05 -0500

Hi!

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 05:32 PM, flynnkd2 wrote:

> But a Resist Magic skill only costs 1 HP to increase, whereas an
> Affinity costs 3 HPs to increase.  You may start out worse off but
> very quickly you will be able to increase the Skill above the
> affinities.

But affinities have many more uses than a Resist Magic skill.

> My players are revealing these sorts of things to me as we progress
> and they look at the system.
>
> - Resist magic over affintities.
> - improve CC rather than skills to augment

But those skills have other uses than just to augment. If a hero has, for instance, Strong 7W, he can use this for an automatic augment of +3 to his CC. Granted, it's much less expensive to just buy up his CC by 3 but he'll have a hard time moving that boulder with his CC...

> So what my players are going to end up with is CC 6w3, Resist Magic
> 5w3, all Affinities at 5w and most augmenting skills at 17.

Their loss...

> You may think this is min/maxing (which it is)

Very poor and short-sighted mini-maxing. Unless your games are all combat (certainly nothing wrong with that if everyone's having fun).

> but thats what the
> rules present to them, and thats how they work with them. I dont see
> why I should constantly be making fudges to the rules to correct
> imbalances that my players detect, it is very annoying.
>
> I have warned them by the way that if they dont spread it around I
> will start attacking their weak points... but they dont care.

Again, their loss. By your examples, they're just becoming fighting machines. Yes, it takes 1 HP to increase your CC by 1 but 10 HP (at least) to increase the bonus you'll get for your auto augment from Strength but you'll be able to add that +1 to much more than just combat. Add to that the fact that Strength can be used straight and is now 10 higher.

Put them in situations where they have to use abilities other than CC but would be able to augment CC. Their exit is blocked by a boulder, they have to cross a narrow bridge over a ravine and must use their Agile, etc...

Dave